Re: Normalization Form KC for Linux

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 08:21:11 EDT

At 03:31 28.8.1999 -0700, Michael Everson wrote:

>Ar 01:54 -0700 1999-08-28, scríobh Dan:
>
>>And if you work with linguistics, an ä cannot be decomposed when you
>>work with Swedish, as it is a single letter. The dots above are not an
>>accent or diacritic mark. So here is a case where you need to
>>be able to represent what looks like the same glyph "an a with
>>two dots above", both as one character and as an a with combining dots.
>
>Uh, you mean that it can't be displayed as a¨, right?

Of course you can have a _glyph_ encoding in which the glyph ä is
represented by a¨, but I guess that most people in Sweden or Finland would
have problems deciphering it. This is apparently some Anglo-Saxon tradition,
as is the translitteration of ä ->ae or ö->oe, which is never used here (a
and o are used instead if ä and ö are not available).

Paul Keinänen