Re: Off-off-off topic (was Re: The History of Hangul)

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Sun Aug 29 1999 - 03:15:57 EDT

Having re-read my comment and the replies, I guess it was
humor-at-a-distance...
;-)

Edward Cherlin wrote:

> >> I know about ideograms, logograms, and hemigrams. What is a telegram?
> >
> >It's an ideogram seen at a distance (via television, telescope,
> >teleprompter, telefax, telepathy, teleology, etc.).
>
> I see. So a telephone is a speech sound heard at a distance, in the same
> ways? And a telemark is either a recent character in a code & glyph
> standard for Teletext, or a proto-glyph from the Upper Teleolithic? Not to
> be confused with German foreign investments, I presume.
>
> --
> Ed Cherlin edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu
> I was reading a sign high on the wall behind the bar:
> ONLY GENUINE PRE-WAR AMERICAN AND
> BRITISH WHISKEYS SERVED HERE
> I was trying to count how many lies could be found in those nine words, and
> had reached four, with promise of more...
> --Dashiell Hammett, The Golden Horseshoe

Progress is a proud sponsor of the 15th International Unicode Conference
Aug. 30 - Sept 2 San Jose, California
http://www.unicode.org/unicode/iuc15
Tex Texin                      Director, International Products

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com