Re: Chinese Hemigram Analysis

From: Curtis Clark (jcclark@csupomona.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 00:01:19 EDT

At 05:18 PM 8/29/99 -0700, Edward Cherlin wrote:
>It was not clear then, and it is not clear now, how well algorithmic
>rendering could be done on a sequence of hemigrams plus positioning data
>and hints. It was also not clear how to carry out some parts of the
>analysis, given the breadth of styles in the historic record and in
current
>use. Some of us would like bronze, seal, and oracle bone fonts in addition
>to the usual brush styles. And then, what about "grass" calligraphy?

Now wait a minute. We can't have a dotless j because it is supposed to be
simple for software to read the decomposition and select a precomposed
glyph from a font. Why can't that work for CJK? (I know some of the
reasons, but it is still just the dotless j problem multiplied
several-hundred-fold.)

Curtis Clark http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark/
Biological Sciences Department Voice: (909) 869-4062
California State Polytechnic University FAX: (909) 869-4078
Pomona CA 91768-4032 USA jcclark@csupomona.edu