Encoding polytonic Greek

From: Constantine Stathopoulos (cstath@irismedia.gr)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 02:29:45 EDT

On 29/8/1999, at 12:29 μμ, Mark Davis wrote:

>This means, for example, that if the text is normalized (forms C or KC) you will only see 03AC, not 1F71. (cf. http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr15/.)

Thank you for highlighting that particular detail.

>As to the numeral sign, that was added to Unicode/10646 at the insistence of the Greek national body.

A long time ago. I haven't been able to find the reason for that (neither for U+1FBD - U+1FBF) and I wonder if that reason still aplies. One might argue that the difference in use between comma and ypodiastoli (Greek decimal symbol) is much more important, but none of these has been coded separately in the Greek blocks.

Constantine Stathopoulos
Iris Media Internet Solutions