Hangzhao numerals

From: Tom Emerson (Tree@basistech.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 04:02:18 EDT

Unicode 2.1 contains what it calls the "Hangzhou numerals" in the range
U+3021 -- U+3029 (with three more added in Unicode 3.0).

I'm wondering if someone could explain what the "Hangzhou numerals" actually
are/were: what is their origin?
When/how were/are they used? About all I know is that Hangzhao is the
capital of Zhejiang province.

I looked in Daniels' and Bright's "The World's Writing Systems" but didn't
see these characters in the chapters on Chinese or numerals.

Thanks in advance,

Language Hacker                                    http://www.basistech.com