Re: glyph variants

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Fri Sep 03 1999 - 23:03:58 EDT

Option number one is the right one: an Ethiopic font should contain a
period (full stop) that is of the appropriate shape for the Ethiopic
characters in the font. This is even the case in Latin-only fonts:
parentheses, commas, quotation marks and other common punctuation will
vary significantly according to font design.

The problem comes in when a 'super' font is created that spans a whole
range of characters with possibly very different styles for different
scripts, such as Arial Unicode MS. In that case, the shapes of common
characters may be compromises based on the expected usage.

Mark