Re: FW: Euro for Cyrillics

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 15:34:00 EDT

John,
Microsoft has said on this list that the Euro is at location x88 in
1251.
All the other codepages are 0x80.

Unless something has changed...
tex

John Hudson wrote:

> At 10:55 AM 10-09-99 -0700, peter_constable@sil.org wrote:
>
> > >However, I cannot find information on where the Euro is
> > supposed to go in Cyrillic fonts. Slot 219 is generally in use
> > by other characters in Cyrillic. I have looked on your site,
> > Microsoft's Euro site and Apple's Euro site.
>
> > (I'm not sure why our friends at MS didn't answer this... )
>
> > You didn't indicate what font format or platform you're
> > targetting. If you're developing TrueType fonts for use on
> > Windows, then all you need to be concerned about is that the
> > euro glyph should be accessed in the cmap at x20AC. That's it.
> > If you're talking Type 1 and/or Mac, I think there's more
> > involved, and I can't help you there.
>
> > If you need to know where the euro is in cp1251, it's at x88
> > (d136).
>
> > (Why 219?)
>
> Apple's solution to the euro problem was to replace the generic currency
> symbol (decimal 219). Personally, I have trouble seeing this as anything
> but a short term solution.
>
> In all MS 8-bit codepages, including 1251, the euro character should be at
> decimal 128.
>
> Full Windows Type 1 euro support relies on an upgrade to Adobe Type Manager
> which will associate PSname /Euro/ with U+20AC. The same result can also be
> achieved by naming the character /uni20AC/. While we're waiting for the new
> ATM support, some font developers are including two euros in each font: one
> called /Euro/ in anticipation of future ATM support, the other called
> /uni20AC/ in anticipation of, er, current ATM support. Department of
> Redundancy Department.
>
> John Hudson, Type Director
>
> Tiro Typeworks
> Vancouver, BC
> www.tiro.com
> tiro@tiro.com

Tex Texin                      Director, International Products

Progress Software Corp.        Voice:         +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                      Fax:         +1-781-280-4949
Bedford, MA 01730  USA             texin@bedford.progress.com