Granularity of Unicode Conformance

From: Hart, Edwin F. (Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 09:59:37 EDT

Jonathan Rosenne raises one of the problems with the description of Unicode
2.0 conformance. The chapter describes what is required for a product to
*fully* support Unicode 2.0. However, I believe that it is safe to say that
most products implement only subsets of the Unicode 2.1 repertoire and
functionality (e.g., bidi algorithm). Thus, 2 products may claim to support
Unicode 2.0 or 2.1 but each may implement different subsets and neither may
provide the support that the user expected.

However, developing some checklist to define what features of Unicode 3.0
are implemented in a particular product that claims Unicode 3.0 conformance
is a non-trivial exercise.

Ed Hart

Edwin F. Hart
edwin.hart@jhuapl.edu
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723-6099
USA
+1-443-778-6926 (Baltimore area)