Re: Granularity of Unicode Conformance

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 11:34:47 EDT

Hart, Edwin F. scripsit:

> Jonathan Rosenne raises one of the problems with the description of Unicode
> 2.0 conformance. The chapter describes what is required for a product to
> *fully* support Unicode 2.0. However, I believe that it is safe to say that
> most products implement only subsets of the Unicode 2.1 repertoire and
> functionality (e.g., bidi algorithm). Thus, 2 products may claim to support
> Unicode 2.0 or 2.1 but each may implement different subsets and neither may
> provide the support that the user expected.

Subsets have nothing to do with conformance: you can be fully conformant
and only support the ASCII repertoire. Check out the 10 easy rules
for Unicode conformance in the Unicode FAQ at http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq
of which #8 is "Subsets are strictly up to you".

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin