Re: A basic question on encoding Latin characters

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 16:35:29 EDT

On Thursday, September 30, 1999 11:18:29 AM, John Cowan wrote:

> John Jenkins scripsit:
>
>> Forgive my impatience, but this is a very very departed specimen of Eohippus
>> here.
>
> I regret to mention that due to the name stability rules (whoever names
> the species first wins, subject to being overruled on a case-by-case
> basis by the appropriate international society), the lovely name
> *Eohippus* 'dawn horse' has now been replaced by the ugly and
> unsuitable name *Hyracotherium* 'hyrax-like animal'.

Well, then, I should do this properly, right?

'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This Hyracotherium is no more! He has
ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft
of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be
pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off
the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run
down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN
EX-HYRACOTHERIUM!!

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com