Re: Schutz-Staffel symbol

From: Scott Horne (shorne@metaphasetech.com)
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 16:13:40 EDT

Rick McGowan wrote:

> > There are other logos in the standard: the JIS logo, for example
>
> Ah. One of the most horrible examples of a dingbat from a legacy character
> set that couldn't be gotten around and which now comes back to haunt
> everyone.

Once again, the truth comes out: Japan gets its corporate and
governmental logos because it's a wealthy country with established
computer technology; others cannot have their logos because they
were too poor or weak to get them established in "legacy
character sets" in time for Unicode's arbitrary deadline.

> > And what about the names of Japanese eras?
>
> BTW, the Japanese era names aren't controlled by, or strictly related to,
> the emperor anymore; they're controlled (I believe) by parliament.

Whoever controls them has the curious habit of creating a new one
every time an emperor dies. I expect that we'll see more of them
in the future, though perhaps not for another eight thousand
generations, or until a small pebble turns into a huge rock and
becomes overgrown with moss.

> And
> presumably all future such eras will *not* be encoded in the Unicode
> standard.

What reason do you have for that presumption?

Scott Horne