RE: Schutz-Staffel symbol

From: Edward Cherlin (edward.cherlin.sy.67@aya.yale.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 04:37:08 EDT

At 10:18 -0700 10/4/1999, Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:
>People who need an SS runic character should not use the same character set
>used to write Hebrew or Russian.

I don't think Simon Wiesenthal would agree with you. However, I would
suggest that the double-lightning-bolt sign falls under the rule
against proprietary (even though, in this case, merely formerly
proprietary) logos, hence it is not admissible as a Unicode character.

>Judging by the few neo-nazis I met in my life, a single-element character
>set with that character only should be far enough to encode their
>literature.

A single-element font should certainly be sufficient for anyone.
There are a number of single-element fonts containing corporate
logos, and other examples like the fort containing the
artist-formerly-known-as-Prince name glyph, which he claims has no
pronunciation. (I have privately assigned it the reading,
"What's-'is-name?")

Edward Cherlin

He would answer to "Hi!" or to any loud cry,
      Such as "Fry me!" or "Fritter my wig!"
To "What-you-may-call-um!" or "What-was-his-name!"
      But especially "Thing-um-a-jig!"

While, for those who preferred a more forcible word,
      He had different names from these:
His intimate friends called him "Candle-ends,"
      And his enemies "Toasted-cheese."

--Lewis Carroll
The Hunting of the Snark
an Agony in Eight Fits