RE: Schutz-Staffel symbol

From: Edward Cherlin (
Date: Tue Oct 05 1999 - 04:37:08 EDT

At 10:18 -0700 10/4/1999, wrote:
>People who need an SS runic character should not use the same character set
>used to write Hebrew or Russian.

I don't think Simon Wiesenthal would agree with you. However, I would
suggest that the double-lightning-bolt sign falls under the rule
against proprietary (even though, in this case, merely formerly
proprietary) logos, hence it is not admissible as a Unicode character.

>Judging by the few neo-nazis I met in my life, a single-element character
>set with that character only should be far enough to encode their

A single-element font should certainly be sufficient for anyone.
There are a number of single-element fonts containing corporate
logos, and other examples like the fort containing the
artist-formerly-known-as-Prince name glyph, which he claims has no
pronunciation. (I have privately assigned it the reading,

Edward Cherlin

He would answer to "Hi!" or to any loud cry,
      Such as "Fry me!" or "Fritter my wig!"
To "What-you-may-call-um!" or "What-was-his-name!"
      But especially "Thing-um-a-jig!"

While, for those who preferred a more forcible word,
      He had different names from these:
His intimate friends called him "Candle-ends,"
      And his enemies "Toasted-cheese."

--Lewis Carroll
The Hunting of the Snark
an Agony in Eight Fits