RE: Place names in foreign languages (was: Re: Peking/Beijing (Re : Burma/Myanmar))

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 04:57:58 EDT

I totally agree with Karl. For instance, the fact that Italian and other
languages have their own traditional names for German and French cities
(e.g. Mainz=Magonza, Aachen=Aquisgrana, Frankfurt=Francoforte,
München=Monaco, Toulouse=Tolosa, Paris=Parigi, Nice=Nizza,
Marseille=Marsiglia, Lyon=Lione, etc.) witnessess of the importance that
these cities have, or had in the past.

In Italy people are proud when their cities (e.g. Roma=Rome, Milano=Milan,
Torino=Turin) have traditional names in other languages, especially if they
are smaller cities with a long history (e.g Mantova=Mantua,
Siracusa=Syracuse). On the other hand, people are very disappointed to
discover that their cities (e.g. Bologna, Bari, Cagliari, Monza) are called
the same abroad, as if they "din't deserve an English name", like small
province towns.

Similarly, one cannot say that Europeans considered Beijing *less* important
than Bei'an (say) and, thus, treated its spelling in a less accurate way
(Peking, Pékin, Pechino, etc.)...

OK, but this is not much of an *Unicode* issue -0 until an Unicode
Conference will be held in a city with a traditional English name, like
München=Munich :-)

Regards. Marco