Re: Place names in foreign languages

From: Glen Perkins (Glen.Perkins@nativeguide.com)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 16:24:26 EDT

Well, by these measures then, ours was considered significant enough that
the Chinese didn't even transliterate the local name and then try to find
nice characters -- they simply gave it their own name as if it were a
Chinese city itself (because, to some extent, it was.)

San Francisco: Jiu jin shan (Old Gold Mountain).

Yes, I know, there is also a more recent transliteration that's used for
formal purposes such as Chinese airline guides, but the popular name is pure
Chinese. And, yes, I know that the name referred to the region generically,
as the boundaries existed in the minds of the Chinese, rather than to the
specific political boundaries drawn by the local government. Still, New
York, London, Paris, Rome, all are transliterations, whether considered
regionally or more strictly, but Jiu Jin Shan is all Chinese. I'm sure there
were other Western cities given pure Chinese names, but I don't know of any
such names that are still the most common popular name today.

__Glen Perkins__

The Japanese had a Japanese name for it, too: Sou Kou (Mulberry Harbor). I'm
afraid I don't know any Cantonese, but the since the Mandarin (sang1) and
Korean (sang) pronunciations of this mulberry character are so close to
"San", I can't help but wonder if the old Japanese name isn't a Japanese
pronunciation of somebody's abbreviation of some early Chinese name created
by transliteration. These days, few Japanese call it anything other than
"san furanshisuko(u)".