Re: Mazovian code page

From: Juliusz Chroboczek (jec@dcs.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 14:36:13 EDT

Tex Texin, encoding archaeologist:

>>Does anyone have a chart of the Mazovian code page, that they
>>can e-mail me or fax me?

Michael Everson:

> Is this a joke? Mazovia is a province of medieval Poland.

Masovia (in Latin) or Mazowsze (in Polish) is a region of central
Poland (the region of Warsaw). The region already existed in the
Middle Ages, and actually was a duchy before Poland ever became a
kingdom.

Mazovia (note the hybrid spelling) is an encoding that was used on
machines running MS-DOS before MS noticed Eastern Europe. As far as I
am aware, it is identical to CP-437 (the original IBM-PC encoding),
except for 18 codepoints, which have been changed to point at Polish
characters. I have sent Tex a chart of these 18 codepoints, which you
may find on:

  http://www.agh.edu.pl/ogonki/plchars.html

Beware that the also exist non-standard versions of the Mazovia
non-standard. Please avoid using Mazovia if at all possible.

Sincerely,

                                        J.