Re: Mixed up priorities

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 16:09:09 EDT

Ar 12:44 -0700 1999-10-21, scríobh G. Adam Stanislav:

>I find it ridiculous that when I suggested to treat 'CH' as a character -
>which it is in Slovak, Czech, and several other languages - I was swamped
>with the reasons why that should not be the case, but at the same time it
>is apparently OK to encode fictional "alphabets" such as Klingon in Unicode.

But you are wrong. CH is not a _character_ in any language. It is a set of
strings of characters (C-H, C-h, c-h) used (sorted etc.) as a _letter_ in
languages like Slovak, Czech, Welsh, and traditional Spanish.

Klingon is an edge case even with regard to the user community. Tengwar and
Cirth, however, are not.

The needs of these users to encode their scripts is being addressed. Your
need (to have ch sort between c and d, or after h, or wherever you like) is
met by tailoring ISO/IEC 14651.

--
Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Guthán: +353 1 478 2597 ** Facsa: +353 1 478 2597 (by arrangement)