Re: UTR# 15 - Objection to Hebrew Exclusions

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 18:00:53 EDT

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I fully support Mark's position here. Composed characters are not optional
> in Yiddish, and normalization should handle them.

The problem here is that Hebrew is one of the few widely computerized
scripts where there is pressure for both composed and decomposed forms.
In Latin scripts, composed forms are usually preferred; in Arabic
script, decomposition is preferred.

Here, though, Yiddish prefers composition, Hebrew decomposition.
In 8859, this wasn't a big problem, because there was no notion of
canonical equivalence or normalization. It is the Unicode notion
of language-insensitive canonicalization (a Good Thing, IMHO) that
exposes the underlying conflict.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin