Re: Mixed up priorities

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Oct 21 1999 - 17:44:57 EDT

G. Adam Stanislav scripsit:

> I find it ridiculous that when I suggested to treat 'CH' as a character -
> which it is in Slovak, Czech, and several other languages - I was swamped
> with the reasons why that should not be the case, but at the same time it
> is apparently OK to encode fictional "alphabets" such as Klingon in Unicode.

One has nothing to do with the other.

> I guess linguistic reasons are secondary to popularity reasons. I guess we
> unimportant Slovaks are just expected to change our alphabetization rules
> so mighty Klingons can get their way.

Unicode is a character coding standard, not a culturally aware
sorting standard. The notion that sorting words is accomplished by
sorting the character codes (integers) representing the characters
in those words doesn't work in ISO 8859-2, never mind Unicode.

> Heck, we should just teach our
> children English and Klingon, and forget our own language, culture, and
> tradition. :(

Without Unicode, the pressure to migrate Slovak to 8859-1 compatibility
might eventually become irresistible.

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin