Re: Fonts

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmith@apple.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 16:54:11 EDT

on 10/21/99 5:32 AM, Hart, Edwin F. <Edwin.Hart@jhuapl.edu> wrote:

> I cannot speak for the Apple Macintosh or other platforms.

Starting with Mac OS 8.5 we added a fairly full Latin repertoire to our US
system fonts (Times, Geneva, Chicago, Charcoal, etc.). These extra
characters are only accessible through our Unicode drawing engine, ATSUI,
not through QuickDraw Text.

In Mac OS 9 we started installing three fonts with a fairly wide repertoire:
Apple Chancery, Hoefler Text, and Skia. Again, the extended character
repertoires are only available through ATSUI.

I'm sorry I can't give a more precise accounting of the repertoire but I
don't have the information at my fingertips. Anyone who is curious can ask
me in private e-mail.

Finally, any of the large Unicode fonts mentioned (Cyberbit, Arial Unicode)
will work fine with ATSUI. They just need to be put in the Fonts folder.
They work fine as .TTF files and don't need to be converted in any way. Data
fork (.TTF) fonts are not accessible from QuickDraw Text at all, only ATSUI.

Deborah Goldsmith
Manager, International Toolbox Group
Apple Computer, Inc.
goldsmith@apple.com