Re: Slovak and Czech "CH" (was: Re:Mixed up priorities)

From: Paul Keinanen (keinanen@sci.fi)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 16:33:26 EDT

On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:45:36 -0700 (PDT), peter_constable@sil.org
wrote:

> >I think that the fact that "ch" has it's own section in Slovak
> dictionaries
> between
> "h" and "i" *is* pretty strong evidence that "ch" is a
> character in the Slovak language.
>
> Nobody here is debating that. The question is whether adequate
> text processing where the (orthographic) character Slovak "ch"
> is involved requires a separate (abstract encoding) character
> CH rather than using the sequence C + H.

If we accept that the Slovak letter "CH" is encoded as <C><H>, then
how should the sequence of letters C and H (e.g. in a foreign word or
other occurrences of such sequences) be encoded that is not to be
handled as the "CH" letter. Perhaps <C><ZERO WIDTH SPACE><H> or
something similar, in order to get hyphenation and sorting to work
correctly without a dictionary ?

Paul