RE: Traditional/Simplified Chinese forms in Hong Kong?

From: Tom Emerson (
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 21:43:26 EDT

I cannot remember whether as part of the transition of the Hongkong
government to the PRC if Beijing put a transition on moving from traditional
to simplified characters. I wasn't able to find anything to this effect on
the Hongkong government website, unfortunately.

Putonghua became compulsory in Hongkong schools in the 1998-99 school year,
and the Hongkong government is printing documents in Simplified and
Traditional Chinese now.

One book that may prove useful is, "One Country, Two Systems, Three
Languages: A Survey of Changing Language Use in Hong Kong":

Another that may prove useful is "Language in Hong Kong at Century's End":

I would be interested in any writing-system specific information you are
able to find.

Language Hacker