Re: Mixed up priorities

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 21:53:28 EDT

Gary,

> On Fri, 22 Oct 1999 peter_constable@sil.org wrote:
> >
> > I can see it now: combining duplicates of Latin and several
> > other scripts. It's reminiscent of a heated discussion some of
> > us are engaged in on another list...
>
> Ah, I'll just propose the combining character combining character (that
> makes the preceding character into a combining character) :-) :-P :-)

You forgot to include the NON-COMBINING COMBINING MARK that marks
the preceding combining mark as not combining.

And since just making a combining character out of a non-combining
one doesn't tell you exactly what combining class you've made
the character into, you also need a parameter for your new
character to specify the combining class:

U+FFF8 COMBINING COMBINING MARK

'a' + 'e' + U+FFF8 + (230) would make the 'e' go on top of the 'a'

'a' + 'e' + U+FFF8 + (220) would make the 'e' go under the 'a'

'Dvnag-ka' + 'e' + U+FFF8 + (9) would make the 'e' a virama and deaden the ka.

To make things easy, the parameter could be expressed by a single
Unicode character in the range U+0000..U+00FF, so that (230) for
above would be expressed with LATIN SMALL LETTER AE, (220) with
LATIN CAPITAL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS, and (9) of course with TAB.

Hmmm. Yes, this does have a lot of promise, I can see.

--Ken