Re: Ancient Egyptian Cartouches

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 07:42:03 EDT

Michael Everson wrote on 1999-10-28 11:02 UTC:
> Ar 15:46 -0700 1999-10-27, scríobh Timothy Partridge:
>
> >Ancient Egyptian poses several similar problems as I'm sure you're aware.
>
> I proposed beginning and ending cartouches like (parentheses), not a single
> overlay like the keycap symbol.

Makes sense.

Ancient Egyptian cartouches seem equivanent to Latin stylistic forms
such as

  - underlining
  - bold printing
  - crossing out
  - italics printing

which can all conveniently be implemented by a font switch (even though
special rendering support for underlining and crossing out is common) or
related markup.

Encoding cartouche start and end might allow conveniently to switch from
say the "Egyptian Normal 5.5 mm" font to the "Egyptian Cartouched 5.5
mm" font for the text between the two cartouche ends, which would allow
the convenient representation of emperor names without requiring any
modifications in applications (which is probably highly advisable for
very rarely used scripts such as hieroglyphs).

Other question about Egyptian: will Hieroglyphic and Demotic be unified?
I got the understanding that they are mostly glyph variants of
essentially the same alphabet, similar to the also very different
printed and handwritten Latin.

  ______
  ------