Re: arabic number in bidi algorithm

From: John Cowan (
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 16:56:55 EDT

Mark Leisher wrote:

> John> 1) In the Unicode character stream, which digit appears first, the
> John> most significant or the least significant?
> Most significant.
> John> 2) When rendering character-by-character (such as when writing by
> John> hand), which digit is rendered first, the most significant or the
> John> least significant?
> Most significant.

So: in order to write a number by hand, then, the hand must skip to the
left a (hopefully) sufficient distance, write the digits left to right,
skip back to just left of the most significant digit, and proceed leftward?

Doesn't sound much like Omar Khayyam to me.

John Cowan Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau Den er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)