Re: arabic number in bidi algorithm

From: John Cowan (cowan@ccil.org)
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 16:56:55 EDT

Mark Leisher wrote:

> John> 1) In the Unicode character stream, which digit appears first, the
> John> most significant or the least significant?
>
> Most significant.
>
> John> 2) When rendering character-by-character (such as when writing by
> John> hand), which digit is rendered first, the most significant or the
> John> least significant?
>
> Most significant.

So: in order to write a number by hand, then, the hand must skip to the
left a (hopefully) sufficient distance, write the digits left to right,
skip back to just left of the most significant digit, and proceed leftward?

Doesn't sound much like Omar Khayyam to me.

--

John Cowan http://www.reutershealth.com jcowan@reutershealth.com Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau Den er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)