Question about Malay characters

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 03 1999 - 11:41:04 EST

As Jim Agenbroad pointed out some time ago (and reminded me recently), the
Malay NOON WITH THREE DOTS ABOVE (U+06BD) moves the dots below and inverts
them in the initial and medial forms to avoid ambiguities with THEH (U+062B).

It turns out that these forms are now ambiguous with the initial and medial
forms of another Malay character, YEH WITH THREE DOTS BELOW (U+06D1). There
is not really an ambiguity with the initial and medial forms of PEH (U+067E)
because Malay doesn't use PEH.

Help! Is some special shape change needed? Is it determined by context or
are the two just simply not used together? Are they from different time
periods?
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab I have never made but one prayer to God,
New Mexico State University a very short one:
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL "Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."
Las Cruces, NM 88003 And God granted it. -- Voltaire, letter