Re: Non-breaking hyphens and web browsers

From: Mark E. Davis (
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 19:55:16 EST

You can search for Hyphens in the Unicode Character Database.

You will find:
This is the ambiguous character that could be a hyphen or a minus.

Is invisible, except at the end of lines. Used for fine-tuning automatic

The unambiguous hyphen.

Is used for a hyphen when you don't want it to break.

Hyphens are not to be confused with the mathematical operator:

Or the dashes (which are the wrong width for a hyphen):
2013;EN DASH
2014;EM DASH

[There are some variants of the hyphen-minus:
FE63;SMALL HYPHEN-MINUS;Pd;0;ET;<small> 002D;;;;N;;;;;
FF0D;FULLWIDTH HYPHEN-MINUS;Pd;0;ET;<wide> 002D;;;;N;;;;;]

I'm surprised you were not able to find this out from the book; was the
information not clear enough?