Bidirectional Algorithm Problems

From: Dave (davidt@picsel.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 06:19:58 EST

First of all, thanks Rick and Markus for taking the time to respond.

However, I'm still not clear on this:

> The example you cited should have no explicit embedding codes in it at
> all.

DID YOU SAY 'he said "car MEANS CAR"'? has embedding levels:
11111111111112222222224443333333333211

Forgive my stupidity if I'm missing something but surely an embedding
level greater than 2 is impossible without explicit embeddings or
overrides.

Aren't embedding levels only changed when resolving explicit levels and
directions in X1 to X9 and when resolving implicit levels in I1 and I2?
Am I right in assuming that if there are no explicit changes then changes
to levels can only occur in I1 and I2, and so the greatest change in
level is +2 maximum?

Thanks again,
Dave.