Bidirectional Algorithm Problems

From: Dave (
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 06:19:58 EST

First of all, thanks Rick and Markus for taking the time to respond.

However, I'm still not clear on this:

> The example you cited should have no explicit embedding codes in it at
> all.

DID YOU SAY 'he said "car MEANS CAR"'? has embedding levels:

Forgive my stupidity if I'm missing something but surely an embedding
level greater than 2 is impossible without explicit embeddings or

Aren't embedding levels only changed when resolving explicit levels and
directions in X1 to X9 and when resolving implicit levels in I1 and I2?
Am I right in assuming that if there are no explicit changes then changes
to levels can only occur in I1 and I2, and so the greatest change in
level is +2 maximum?

Thanks again,