Re: Devanagari and half-consonant forms

From: Mark Leisher (
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 13:14:01 EST

    RajKumar> I am no expert in Devanagari or in Hindi but in all the Hindi i
    RajKumar> studied or seen the kka is represented by the liguature in the
    RajKumar> fig kk2. What i did not understand is that in what situation the
    RajKumar> kk1 is used and what is the difference between the two. Also
    RajKumar> what should be done if i have to get two ka s side by side ie
    RajKumar> just kaka no liguature or a conjunct
    Mark> Though it can be done both ways, I believe the first form (kk1) is a
    Mark> relatively common conjunct in Hindi.

    Mark> To get KAKA, simply type two KA's (U+0915) with no intervening
    Mark> VIRAMA (U+094D). Conjunct and ligature formation occur when the
    Mark> VIRAMA is present.

A reply I left out:

As far as I know, there is no difference between the two KKA sequences I
attached earlier.

An important point:

I would like to point out that the formation of conjuncts is dependent on the
renderer and what is available in the font. Different editors may provide
different default forms.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab I have never made but one prayer to God,
New Mexico State University a very short one:
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL "Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."
Las Cruces, NM 88003 And God granted it. -- Voltaire, letter