Re: Devanagari and half-consonant forms

From: Chookij Vanatham (chookij.vanatham@eng.sun.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 15:16:46 EST

Hi Mark,

] The confusion is the view that *all* half-consonant formation *requires* the
] ZWJ. In general, when constructing an akshara (consonant+consonant+...+vowel
] group) with more than one consonant, the half-consonants form automatically
] from dead consonants *without* the need for ZWJ, as long as the renderer does
] not combine them to form a conjunct or ligature.
To me, as long as there is no ZWJ, the conjunct consonant would be the ligature
(if there is the glyph in the font) unless I don't want them to be ligature,
then I will insert ZWJ in between.

]
] The need for ZWJ is then limited to stopping conjunct and ligature formation,
] or rendering an explicit half-consonant by itself.
I think ZWJ does stopping "ligature" but those consonant are still considered
as the conjunct consonant which will effect how to pronounce them.
This is what I understand though.

Chookij V.

]