Re: Multilingual Documents [was: HTML forms and UTF-8]

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 09:53:54 EST

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> John, il limerick francese ("Une jolie epousette...") non era necessario: la
> citazione di Coleridge contenuta nella "signature" della tua e-mail
> ("Schlingt dreifach...") costituiva già un esempio sufficiente di documento
> multilingue...

(Translation of the following on request...)

Tu es die second person to indicar that. Yo have, of course, werden so
accustomata to mi .sig that yo no mas vider it as a portione de mi messages.

This sprach, BTW, is appellata "Voidish", a relative close del Europanto.
Die Usonian sf auctor Norman Spinrad usata it in his roman "The Void Captain's
Tale" (in et dialogo et narratio), now regrettamente post stampa. Quelqun
character usar his o her version eigen de Voidish, as do yo. Yo have orderata
a copy von a libreria de second-main in ordnung to lernar Voidish better.

Die sf-roman de Alfred Bester, "The Computer Connection", auch referar to Voidish
unter die name de "Eurish".

Aber rememberar: es importante not to sagen "Tante danke", when die sprach
correcta es "Grazie sehr".

> Yet, I always understood that one of the key reasons that caused Unicode to
> be settles was to make this kind of documents possible. And indeed, for some
> particular applications, multilingual documents are the rule:

Unicode is useful for monoscript documents as well, as it transfers the
identity of the script from metadata (a MIME header or the like) to data.
There is no more need to look at a random document through various charset
filters to see which one it makes sense in.

I once got an email in what I guessed was Russian based on the origin in ".ru".
I printed the document three times, once using KOI8-R, once using 8859-5, and once
using CP 1251, and passed them to a Russian speaker, asking him "Which one
makes sense?" It turned out to be the last one, and it turned out to be a
spam, arrgh.

--

John Cowan http://www.reutershealth.com jcowan@reutershealth.com Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau Den er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)