Re: Multilingual Documents [was: HTML forms and UTF-8]

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 13:14:20 EST

Otto Stolz wrote:

> ...the German quote (Coleridge, translated) has presented a problem to John,
> which he has solved by resorting to a non-standard spelling ("schliesst"
> rather than the correct "schließt").

I should mention that the problem is that I don't want to send out
*every* email as 8859-1 Quoted-Unreadable, especially to mailing lists
where people don't comprehend such things.

Maybe I should write "schlieszt"?

> - To a German user: "Do you want the 'ä' you have typed to display
> and print as an 'ä', even on a different computer, e. g. your E-mail-pal's?
> (You cannot say pen-pal, in this case, can you?)

Yes, you can.

--

John Cowan http://www.reutershealth.com jcowan@reutershealth.com Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau Den er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)