Re: Official ISO 3166 country codes online

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 14:14:00 EST

Oh, crud. I reluctantly respond.

Ar 03:48 +0900 1999-12-01, scríobh Masataka Ohta:

>> >Thank you for denying yourself to have mentioned Sign Languages.
>>
>> Clearly Masataka Ohta has no idea what he is talking about. This is
>> beginning to annoy me, and so this is my last statement on the matter.
>
>I can understand your error.

I have made no error.

>It is a common error to consider handicapped people something so special.
>
>However, they are not.

Everyone is special. Linguistic minorities, however, deserve special attention.

>Be cautious, because your error sometimes results in discriminations
>of handicapped.

I have made no error. And please do not waste your time or mine by trying
to show me that I have done so. You are wrong about the utility of ISO 3166
codes in combination with other ISO codes, and that is that. I merely
showed another area in which such codes were employed quite usefully.

>> There are too many Sign Languages to expect 639-2 codes,
>
>You are merely arguing that there are too many languages to expect
>639-2 codes.

There is no user requirement for unique codes for all of the world's Sign
Languages. The users are satisfied with "sgn" with extensions.

>You can label all the languages in the world with ISO 3166 codes
>and additional strings.

The users of Sign Languages have seen the scheme we introduced satisfy the
user community and satisfy, economically, the RA of ISO 639-2. Note that
not all of the Sign Languages in
http://www.indigo.ie/egt/standards/iso639/sign-language.html (which you
apparently have not read) are languages used by deaf people. Plains Sign
Talk and Monastic Sign Language are used by hearing people.

Michael Everson * Everson Gunn Teoranta * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169