Re: Multilingual Documents [was: HTML forms and UTF-8]

From: Earthlink (apphillips@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 01:59:50 EST

I agree with all of Chris' assertions below... when talking about
applications for single user systems.

For Web-based applications, though, I think I can see additional "business
justifications". For example, data is increasingly multilingual. Internet
driven applications will have data that is collected from or used across a
wide array of locales. If your site interacts with a variety of users (using
one-language-at-a-time HTML), you will still collect a lot of data in a
single repository that must be parsed, reported, analyzed, stored,
normalized, etc. with the original locale in mind [as well as the locale of
the system administrator, customer, site owner, and so forth]. A report on
e-commerce site activity that is generated "in German" can still contain
fields in another script. A few weeks ago I was looking at a shipping
system: orders from one country were placed with a company in a second
country... and fulfilled from warehouses in a third. I think you can see how
multiple scripts might be called for in such an instance.

In other words: you may collect it one script at a time, but you may have to
deliver it in collections.

Chris has the "easier" job of creating single-user-at-a-time applications
where, as he points out, most people create mono-lingual documents and where
most polylingual documents are really quoting small patches of another
language within them (so the ability to merely handle a few characters in a
row is enough--the user assumes responsibility for the non-primary-language
content). If, say, MS-Word really had a "multilingual" requirement, it would
change spell-checkers and grammer-checkers when the language of the sentence
changed...... right?

Almost everyone on this list is (of course?) in agreement that Unicode
support is a good thing and the sooner we get it everywhere the better. But
Internet applications have an abysmal record of internationalization, in
part because "Unicode is supposed to fix everything"... and characters are
only the part of the iceberg that sticks up. How many recent e-mail have we
seen on this list from programmers in which it is assumed that supporting
Unicode alone will fix all of their problems? They all proceed from the
false assumption that character sets are the *ONLY* issue with regard to
internationalization.

... the problem on the web is not so much multilingual documents, but the
ability to process data from different locales in the same server at the
same time. The justifications Chris gives are thus "writ large" for Internet
developers, most of whom appear to be focused on the far too homogenous US
market and have a serious problem waiting for them just around the corner.
Developers need to be aware that, unlike single user applications,
assumptions about locale are probably fatal to international Internet
products and thus competitiveness of their product/company [cf. InfoWorld
Vol 21, Issue 47, page 12 "Eye on e-business"]... in real time, for all the
world to see.

thanks,

Addison