Re: Flags and Language icons

From: Robert Brady (robert@ents.susu.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 12:15:59 EST

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Doug Ewell wrote:

> Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>
> > (such as the sentence "meet me in the First Floor Lobby" will have an
> > American waiting one floor up from the street level/entrance while a
> > Brit will be in the Street Level Lobby)
>
> Quibble: this is backward. "First floor" means "ground level" to
> Americans and "just above ground level" to the British.

Quibble: firstfloorness is a per-building concept in the UK. For example,
in the building I am currently in (which was constructed in 1998), the
floor at street level is called "Floor 1". However, there are other (most)
buildings where the floor at the street level is called the "Ground
Floor".

This is all rather confusing.

--
Robert