Re: unicode and malayalam

From: James E. Agenbroad (jage@loc.gov)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 16:32:10 EST

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Mark Leisher wrote:

> RajKumar> hello all, i have some confusion regarding the ZWJ ZWNJ and
> RajKumar> their use wrt malayalam.
>
> [snip]
> RajKumar> 2. In malayalam their can be two equally valid ways of
> RajKumar> representing the glyphs of some consonent conbination. like
> RajKumar> CA+CA. is their any way of identifying the exact glyph form.

    [snip]

                                               Thursday, December 2, 1999
I know no Malayalam. If the font has two different glyphs for a
combination of two (or more) consonants, and the data preceding (or
following?) them provide a cue to which was prefererable in that context
rendering software could use the cue to select the more desirable glyph.
Economically, how much more would people pay for better looking output?
Vs.Aesthetically, why not do it right the first time? I guess the
first question is would the data contain such cues or clues?

     Regards,
          Jim Agenbroad ( jage@LOC.gov )
     The above are purely personal opinions, not necessarily the official
views of any government or any agency of any.
Phone: 202 707-9612; Fax: 202 707-0955; US mail: I.T.S. Dev.Gp.4, Library
of Congress, 101 Independence Ave. SE, Washington, D.C. 20540-9334 U.S.A.