Re: unicode and malayalam

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 17:32:48 EST

    Jim> I know no Malayalam. If the font has two different glyphs for a
    Jim> combination of two (or more) consonants, and the data preceding (or
    Jim> following?) them provide a cue to which was prefererable in that
    Jim> context rendering software could use the cue to select the more
    Jim> desirable glyph. Economically, how much more would people pay for
    Jim> better looking output? Vs.Aesthetically, why not do it right the
    Jim> first time? I guess the first question is would the data contain such
    Jim> cues or clues?

That would be ideal, but collecting those sorts of contextual clues takes a
while.
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab I have never made but one prayer to God,
New Mexico State University a very short one:
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL "Oh Lord, make my enemies ridiculous."
Las Cruces, NM 88003 And God granted it. -- Voltaire, letter