Re: English Spelling

From: Mark E. Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 22:43:27 EST

Rick,
In the sense in which I defined in in the part of the message that you omitted,
Japanese pronunciation is *extremely* irregular -- far more so than English --
since it would take a much, much larger set of rules to predict the
pronunciation than even for English.

Of course, that is as customarily written, with Kanji characters. If you rewrote
all the Kanji into katakana or hiragana, then it would be extremely phonetic.
But that is almost never done. It would be a bit like rewriting English text
into IPA then claiming that therefore English pronunciation is regular.

Alain,
Native speakers are almost always unaware of the degree of irregularity in their
language. It is really only when one attempts to come up with specific
pronunciation rules and analyses the number of exceptions to those rules that
the full scope of the problem is realized.

Mark