RE: English Spelling

From: Reynolds, Gregg (greynolds@datalogics.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 14:00:14 EST

But in our accounting of this slough of oughy despair let us not slough over
"slough", the doughtiest of oughs!

There, that makes 11, with one dual. (key: 1st slough = slew/slu, or slao
rimes with cow; 2nd slough = sluff; doughty = doubt ;)

> My favorite is "oignon", which should obviously be pronounced
> /wanjo~/,
> and I understand that some people do say that.

How should it be pronounced? Surely not with an oink. I always thought
(going purely by eye) that /wanyo~/ was the correct pronunciation.

-gregg