RE: EA width, Latin punctuation and fonts

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 13:47:50 EST

Marco,

> Asmus Freytag wrote:
> >Compatibility characters are defined as being characters
> >that have compatibility compatibility decomposition,
> >according to definition D21 in chapter 3.
>
> But some of the characters in the "CJK *Compatibility* Ideographs"
> [U+F900..U+FAFF] have no compatibility decomposition (i.e., in this case,
> cannot be mapped to regular "CJK Unified Ideographs" [U+4E00..U+9FFF]).
> Are they not compatibility characters then?

Please see my CLIP AND SAVE note on compatibility characters.

From the text of Unicode 3.0:

"Twelve of these 34 ideographs (U+FA0E, U+FA0F, U+FA11, U+FA13, U+FA14,
U+FA1F, U+FA21, U+FA23, U+FA27, U+FA28, and U+FA29) are not encoded
in the CJK Unified Ideographs Areas. These 12 characters are not
duplicates and should be treated as a a small extension of the set of
unified ideographs."

These *are* compatibility characters in Sense 1: they were originally
added as part of the set of 34 characters added in this block for
roundtrip compatibility with GB 2312 and with the IBM corporate set.

These are *not* compatibility characters in Sense 2, since they have
no compatibility decomposition, but stand on their own.

--Ken