Looking for 5 old Spanish letters.

From: Carlos Levoyer (clevoyer@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 1999 - 17:54:06 EST

My name is Carlos Levoyer.

Please help me if you can.

For academic work in a old Spanish book I am looking
for five letters:

1. One that looks very much like our actual "f", but
it doesn't have the right part of the little
horizontal bar that crosses it. Although it does not
have that part it does have the left part.

2. One that binds our actual "c" and "t". It
"connects" the upper end of the "c" with the upper end
of the "t" through a quarter of a circle been its
center point (if drawn by a compass) at the left
extreme point of the horizontal bar that crosses
the"t".

3. One that combines two parts of different letters:
our actual "u" with the Spanish serpent-like line
(tilde) over the "ñ", (the latter does not exist in
English;ASCII code: 164).

4. One that combines two parts of different letters:
our actual "q" with the Spanish serpent-like line over
the "ñ" (ASCII code: 164).

5. One that combines two parts of different letters:
our actual "e" with the Spanish serpent-like line over
the "ñ" (ASCII code: 164).

In case this is not clear you will find these letters
in a web page of a Dictionary:

http://www.rae.es/nivel1/buscon/AUTORIDAD2.HTM

Here you will find a Dictionary, in fact it is the
most important Dictionary of old Spanish in the Web.
Clic "Autoridades 1726-39", clic "lema exacto" and
write the word "doctor" (no capital letters, no
quotation marks) in the blanck space and clic the
button "Consulta". It will appear the word "doctor"
underlined. Clic on it. Finally it will show up the
page ("Página 325" in XVIII century Spanish) that I am
telling you about, with two columns (right and left)
and 66 lines per column.

-----------------------------

Letter number 1. is in the left column, line 14, in
the word "cofa" wich is equivalent to the actual
"cosa" in Spanish, meaning "thing" in English. You can
see that the letter that I am looking for is different
from our actual "f" by comparing in this very line the
word "cofa" with the word "facilidad" ("facility" in
English) wich starts with our actual "f". And the
italic version of this "f"-like letter that I am
looking for is in the left column, line 20, the word
"jafpe" (in modern Spanish: "jaspe";in English:
"jasper").

-----------------------------

Letter number 2. is in the left column line 65, in the
word "Perfecta" (In English: "perfect"); also in the
right column, line 17 in the word "Doctor". For the
italic version of letter number 2. you can find two
examples: left column, line 52 ("doctamente"), and
right column, line 08 ("doctos").

-----------------------------

For letters number 3., 4. and 5. there are no examples
in the on line Dictionary that I am telling you about,
but all of them are almost the same. The "only" thing
that changes is the letter it self that is under the
serpent-like line that is on top of the Spanish modern
"ñ". The latter is in the right column, line 05, in
the word "Señor"; also in the left column,lines 31-32,
in the word "enfe-ñada" (in modern Spanish:
"enseñada", in English: "taught"). About this
serpent-like line there should be noticed that in our
days in Spanish we can only find a completely
horizontal version, but the three that I am looking
for they all have this serpent-like line a little bit
slant, beeing the extreme right part of it (from the
point of view of the reader) higher than the left one.

-----------------------------

If you decide to help me please tell me so and answer
these questions:

A. Have you seen these letters in any language? Which
one?

B. Have you seen fonts of those languages? Can I see
them in a web page? Tell me the exact electronic
address.

C. If you haven't seen them ¿is it possible to make
them?

Obviously if you decide to help me your name will
appear in the credits of the book that I am working
on.

"Last but not least" I have to tell you that my work
is independent, no one helps me or pays me for it and
my budget is very small. But if you don’t even care
about this (an option for which I would not blame you)
may be you can tell me who might do so and have the
instruments and the knowledge to do something about
this search.

Yours,
Carlos Levoyer.
clevoyer@yahoo.com