Re: Looking for 5 old Spanish letters.

From: Joerg Knappen (KNAPPEN@alpha.ntp.springer.de)
Date: Fri Dec 17 1999 - 07:35:30 EST

Carlos Levoyer frug:

> 1. One that looks very much like our actual "f", but
> it doesn't have the right part of the little
> horizontal bar that crosses it. Although it does not
> have that part it does have the left part.

This one is known as "long s" and included in UNicode: U+017F

> 2. One that binds our actual "c" and "t".

This is an aesthetic ligature of c and t, and
should be represented by the characters "ct".

> 3. One that combines two parts of different letters:
> our actual "u" with the Spanish serpent-like line
> (tilde) over the "ñ", (the latter does not exist in
> English;ASCII code: 164).

u with tilde is U+0169 (lc) and U+0168 (capital)

> 4. One that combines two parts of different letters:
> our actual "q" with the Spanish serpent-like line over
> the "ñ" (ASCII code: 164).

Never seen this one. However, g with tilde is used as
a character of the alphabet of Guarani (Paraguay). This should
be included into UNicode, if it isn't already.

> 5. One that combines two parts of different letters:
> our actual "e" with the Spanish serpent-like line over
> the "ñ" (ASCII code: 164).

To my surprise I couldn't locate e with tilde in my
UNicdoe 2.0 book.

--J"org Knappen

P.S. You want to buy a copy of the UNicode standard 3.0 as soon as
it is available in the book shops (shouldn't be long)