Re: bidi on Windows and Mac

From: Mark H. David (mhd@world.std.com)
Date: Sat Dec 18 1999 - 10:08:17 EST

The Yiddish character combinations may now exist in the FBxx block, but
most fonts do not implement them all, unfortunately. The latest Microsoft
Hebrew fonts (for Windows 98 Hebrew, Windows NT 4.0 Hebrew, and
Windows 2000) mostly implement them all,
except none of them implement one necessary character:
FB1D (HEBREW LETTER YOD WITH HIRIQ), which is new in Unicode.
Of course, a very significant percentage of users, possibly the majority,
use
Hebrew Windows 95 or other, non-Windows OS's. So the practical reality
is that there would be no way for them to see the FBxx Hebrew characters
properly rendered.

Still, I encourage font vendors for all systems to follow Microsoft and
Monotype's excellent example and fill out the missing FBxx Hebrew
character glyphs as soon as possible, preferrably yesterday!

Mark