RE: Latin ligatures and Unicode

Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 06:03:22 EST

Ar 15:13 -0800 1999-12-19, scríobh Michael Everson:
>Ar 03:54 -0800 1999-12-19, scríobh Eberhard Pehlemann:
>>4. What is the future of handling latin ligatures with Unicode?
>I hope that it will be as presented in N2141: On the need for a zero-width

Why is this new zero-width ligator being proposed, rather than overloading
the existing zero-width joiner with this new function? (ZWJ currently has no
defined meaning for European scripts, right?)

Will the new ZWL be used also for non-European scripts? Particularly, what
would be its meaning with Indic and cursive scripts (Arabic, Mongolian,

(Note: These are just questions: please pro- and anti- partisans don't start
a flame! And, sorry, I could not read N2141 because, as usual, something is
cursed with my web connectivity)