Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 12:17:00 EST

on 12/27/99 12:03 PM, John Cowan at jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

> John Jenkins wrote:
>
>> For me, the AAT and OpenType mechanisms adequately answer this point, as
>> they allow full control over arbitrary (or automatic) ligature generation or
>> overriding.
>
> I begin to suspect that people are talking past one another here. Allow
> full control to whom, using what? AFAIU (and I may not understand far
> enough), OpenType allows control to the font designer, not to the document
> author/transcriber. It is the latter for whom ZWL/ZWNL caters.

AAT and OT both give ultimate control to the end user, who can override
default behavior at will. The only limit that AAT/OT impose is that the
list of ligatures you can ask for is limited to what's built into the font.
If you don't have a "st" ligature in the font, you can't ask for it.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com
tseng@blueneptune.com