RE: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Tue Dec 28 1999 - 12:16:16 EST

As I see it, what is considered as a glyph or font variation in one language
or context (e.g. modern prose) could be considered as a significant
difference in another language or context (e.g. ancient poetry).

In the cases when these differences become significant, there should be a
way to encode them in plain text, if some general solutions like a ligator
mechanism are not found, people will keep on asking new ligatures or
variants for ever -- because they need them, not because they are are all
dummies.

By the way, the ability to display these difference is only one of the
reasons for encoding them, and not the main one. So one strong advantage of
Michael's ZWL is, paradoxically, the possibility for the software to simply
ignore it.

I don't see why you say that it sounds scary. To me it sounds like a relief.
If I write an application today and, tomorrow, Unicode N.0 adds a new "qw"
ligature, my software won't be able to display it. Even worst, Unicode N.0
would not even define a compatibility mapping "q"+"w" for me, so won't even
be able to quickly add a poor man's version of the new ligature (remember
the Normix/Ny-Normix discussion?). This is scaring to me.

But if the new "qw" ligature is added (quasi-privately) as "q"+ZWL+"w", then
my software will keep a decent display with no need for any change (of
course, a new software that will have a specific glyph for "q"+ZWL+"w" will
win a little point on my old software anyway...)

_ Marco