Re: Latin ligatures and Unicode

From: John Jenkins (
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 11:58:17 EST

on 12/28/99 9:14 AM, at

> In the cases when these differences become significant, there should be a
> way to encode them in plain text, if some general solutions like a ligator
> mechanism are not found, people will keep on asking new ligatures or
> variants for ever -- because they need them, not because they are are all
> dummies.

Here I disagree. The problem is that the power of the more advanced
typographic systems (AAT/OT) has been restricted to high-end applications
that most people don't use. The average computer user has been restricted
to systems and applications that don't implement the character-glyph model
and so remains locked in the assumption that every blob they want to see on
the screen *must* be separately encoded within the character set in order to
be able to see it.

We'll have crossed a major bridge when Microsoft releases a version of Word
with full OT support and then people can see how they can get precisely what
they want without resorting to separate encoding for every glyph.

John H. Jenkins