Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 13:32:45 EST

on 12/30/99 7:17 AM, Janko Stamenovic at janko@teletrader.com wrote:

> So is the idea of standard to cover different languages or not? Russian and
> Serbian are different languages, not a variants of the same language. Also,
> the problem is that the letter does not look the same AT ALL. Serbian would
> not read "m" as "t" ever, when it occurs in the text. We are not talking
> about different kerning, but about completely different letter.

The idea is to cover different languages, yes -- but unification of glyphs
might take place along the way. The most extreme case I can think of
currently is Greek and Coptic, which look *very* different in practice but
which have been unified in the standard. (They look so different that some
have argued that they should be deunified.) Unihan is another standard
example.

If you want proper display of Serbian, you need to use a font designed to
display Serbian and not Russian.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com