Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Jeff Leer (jleer@mosquitonet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2000 - 04:30:22 EST

It helps to understand the evolution of handwriting. In Cyrillic print, this
letter is a small T with serifs extending down from the tips of the top
line. In the Russian hand printing of the 1700s or so, the three downward
vertical lines had become equal in length and were stroked in sequence,
followed by a line across the top, linking them. In handwriting, the three
vertical lines were ligated, thus resembling Roman m, and the top stroke was
raised above the bottom group so as to avoid stroke-clash. This is the form
Valeriy recalls seeing. Finally, the top stroke was eliminated. An expert
would be able to tell you much more about the exact sequence of these
changes and the range of variation.

Jeff Leer