RE: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 01:05:05 EST

Janko Stamenovic wrote:

>> Janko, how can you ask, in the *same* e-mail, that Serbian-Cyrillic
>> and Russian-Cyrillic are dis-unified (because some lowercase letters
>> look different in italic) *and* that the whole Cyrillic and Latin
>> alphabets be unified (because some letters look the same)?
>
> I just demonstrate to you that the REAL standard must take care of
> everything, not only parts of the issue. If we have to know about
> language tags, we either should have incorporated them in the code or
> made the code/standard good enough to take care of it.

If you mean Plane 14 language tags, you don't have to know a thing about
them to use Unicode. However, if you do use them, and if future software
and fonts are smart enough, you may get what you want: different glyph
variants of U+043F CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER PE, depending on whether your
text is tagged as Serbian or Russian.

Similarly, Marco may get what he wants: different glyph variants of e.g.
U+00E1 LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE, depending on whether his text is
tagged as Italian or Polish.

And all the Japanese users who don't like the look of Chinese fonts
may get what they want too.

This would be a great use of Plane 14 tags: helping fonts to solve font
issues instead of adding more "compatibility" characters to Unicode.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California