Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Franko Luin (franko@omnibus.se)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 16:35:12 EST

Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com skribis:

>> But he claims that what I called the "Russian style" of italics is not
>> acceptable in Serbian because it is too easy to confuse it with Latin
>> italics, and the Latin script is often mixed with Cyrillic in Serbia.

Even if Janko is right, it is still a question of typeface design and not at
all of Unicode.

But in fact, I find that Serbian is somewhat neglected. I am a Mac user.
With Mac OS 9 I installed all the language modules which came with it. Of
the languages using the Cyrillic alphabet I have Bulgarian, Russian and
Ukrainian. There was no Serbian, and I don't think it depends on the
international boycott of Yugoslavia. Still Serbian differs from the other
languages using the Cyrillic alphabet with the special characters for dj,
lj, nj which cannot be reached with the keyboards layouts delivered. A
suitable layout can certainly be found somewhere else, with some detective
work.

Ciao pure a te.

Franko Luin

http://www.omnibus.se